How does UCCC make the decision to cancel school?
WHAT ARE THE CONSIDERATIONS?
- First and foremost, we take into consideration the safety of our children, families and teachers.
- Secondly, We understand that families need to go to work, so the decision to close is a serious decision.
- Third, we need to assess the storms intensity, timing and length of storm.
- Fourth, the temperature and wind chill. This is a concern, particularly since we serve infants and toddlers.
- Next, we need to consider our own ability to manage our own parking lot and sidewalks.
HOW THE DECISION IS MADE?
- I listen to the weather forecast and attempt to weigh in the weather forecasters sense of DRAMA
- I assess the school closures, there are some schools that are considered hold outs, UCCC is often a hold out.
- Most importantly, I get out on the roads at 3 am. I drive on the highways...170, Forest Park Parkway, 40/64; the main roads, such as Delmar Blvd, Olive Blvd. Skinker, Big Bend: the side roads and streets. Meanwhile discussing with other members of our administrative team.
- Then, I make the decision.
Post by Stephen Zwolak