On Saturday, I posted a question on the UCCC FaceBook wall, What is a good Teacher?
On Monday, the ExchangeEveryDay’s feature was titled “A Good Teacher” where Carol B. Hillman, author of Teaching Four-Year-Olds: A Personal Journey, commented on “Good Teacher.”
Interesting timing so I ask,
What is a good teacher?
A good teacher…
- Has the ability and the willingness to search for “self,
- Begins to understand the “WHY.” Why do I want to work with children? What is it that drives me to wake-up and face the challenges of working with young children?,
- Knows that early childhood education is a journey of understanding,
- Begins to see the mirror images that children reflect on their own life,
In the classroom…a good teacher…
- Listens to children,
- Encourages children to think and create, which engages learning, and enable us to
- Learns about children from the inside out,
- Allows the children take the lead,
- Engages in face to face simple genuine encounters with every child everyday,
- MUST HAVE THE CAPACITY TO "BE" WITH OURSELF AND WITH OUR CHILDREN!
Teaching must be aesthetically pleasing emotionally to the core of the “self.”
Post by Stephen Zwolak