Winter break suggestion: Water Table
Got the Winter Break Blues? UCCC wants to give you a few fun activities to do with your kids while they are home for the holidays - share your ideas with us!
Our first suggestion is to break out a dish tub to make a quick and easy water table.
- Open space on the kitchen floor (or anyplace where a little splashing won't hurt)
- Small dish tub (make sure the child cannot fall inside)
- Only use 2-3 inches of water
- A few drops of dish soap adds to the fun (Dawn seems to make the best bubbles)
- Tools: Add cups, funnels, measuring utensils, egg beater, turkey baster, whatever you have!
- Water play is soothing and relaxing to children
- A water table helps children understand the science of water and how it flows
- Different ages will explore at different levels of complexity
- young ones will love just splashing
- as they grow, measuring and pouring will become their interest
- older children will experience empathy through washing their dolls and items
Most of all, HAVE FUN!
If you have a suggestion on what to do when your stuck indoors, share it in the comments.